Due to peak season, advisement will not be accepting appointments until January 27, 2020.

Academic Advisors are Here to Help

Paradise Valley’s academic advisors are here to help you develop and successfully complete your Puma Pathway. Our goal is to help you prepare for success by providing you the support you need. Our advisors will assist you in creating, reviewing and re-evaluating your educational and life goals, while connecting you to resources including information on college policies and procedures, degree requirements, and university transfer. It is essential that you be an active participant and engage in planning your education. Advisors specialize in helping you commit to a major in order to complete your educational goals that will allow you to thrive here and beyond.

Advisement Diagram


  • Assist in the development of an academic plan which reflects both short and long-term goals
  • Interpret placement test scores for appropriate course selection
  • Provide an unofficial transcript evaluation
  • Assist with selection and sequencing of classes
  • Provide college resource and support service information
  • Provide a graduation review for the desired degree or certificate program
  • Help facilitate transfer to another college or university

If you are interested in taking courses while you are still in high school we offer a variety of course options that will allow you to get a head start on your college career. Advisors are here to assist you in selecting courses.

Click here to get started

If you are a high school student currently or interested in pursuing  Ace Program, Dual Enrollment, Puma College Connection, or Hoop of Learning, please visit our Early College Programs web page for more information.

The athletics program at Paradise Valley Community College began in fall 1995 with three men's sports (cross country, golf, and tennis) and two women's sports (cross country, tennis). Since that time the college has added three additional sports for men (soccer, track & field and baseball) and four for women (golf, soccer, softball, and track & field). In the same time period, the number of athletes on campus each year has increased from approximately 23 to well over 200. As chronicled in the history below, both the men and women's intercollegiate teams have been extremely successful in achieving national recognition in both academics and athletics.

Become a Puma Student Athlete

Apply for Admissions to PVCC

**Advisors are available to help student athletes create a course schedule. Student athletes should meet with an advisor after they have completed the admissions process.

How to Become a Registered Nurse (RN)
PVCC participates in the MaricopaNursing program, a consortium of Maricopa community college nursing programs. MaricopaNursing at PVCC provides several ways to become a Registered Nurse (RN):

  1. Associates of Applied Science in Nursing (AAS): 4-semester program; eligibility to apply for licensure as an RN is granted after completion of AAS degree requirements.
  2. Concurrent Enrollment Program (CEP): Fast track your nursing degree to become a registered nurse! Learn more at the CEP website. Attend a Nursing Information Session.
  3. Advanced Placement: Available to transfer students from other nursing programs, LPN’s and Paramedics.
  4. Veterans: Two spots are held in block one ​​admission for eligible qualified veterans.

Application Steps:

  1. Complete Enrollment Steps
  2. Attend Nursing Information Session
  3. Meet with an advisor

Required to apply:

  1. Courses
    • BIO201 Human Anatomy and Physiology I
    • ENG101 First Year Composition
    • MAT140 or higher College Mathematics
    • CHM130 and 130LL Fundamental Chemistry or one year high school chemistry with a grade of C or better.
  2. A completed nursing application with grades in all required classes on your Maricopa Student Center
  3. An unrestricted Arizona Dept. of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card.
  4. Passing scores on the HESI A2 Entrance Exam: 80% or higher in English, 75% or higher in Math. Scores must be satisfied on a single attempt of the test.

After submitting your application and while waiting for placement in MaricopaNursing, consider completing co-requisites and recommended courses below. The recommended courses are useful classes that will help you in the nursing program. Also, if you are planning to pursue your BSN after graduating from PVCC nursing, these courses are required in many RN to BSN programs.

Co-Requisite Courses

  • BIO202 Human Anatomy and Physiology II
  • BIO205 Microbiology
  • ENG102 First Year Composition
  • PSY101 Introduction to Psychology
  • CRE101 Critical and Evaluative Reading or Test Exempt
  • 2-3 credits of Humanities Elective

Recommended Courses

  • HCR240 HumanPathophysiology
  • HCC146 Common Medical Terminology for Health Care
  • Classes required for CEP application

Complete nursing details can be found at the Maricopa Nursing Programs page.

Below you will find a list of course check sheets for our Associate of Applied Science degrees (AAS), Certificate of Completion programs (CCL), and Academic Certificates (AC). Other Associates degrees and transfer degree options are available by speaking with an academic advisor.

Transfer Degrees
These are programs that are designed for students to complete prior to transferring to a university. They are equivalent to the first two years at each of our three state universities.

Occupational Degrees
These are technical and/or vocational specialty degrees that prepare students to work in a particular field upon graduation.

Certificate Programs
These are technical and/or vocational specialty programs that prepare students to work in a particular field.  Many can be completed in a year or less.

Academic Certificates
These provide students with a credential for knowledge in a specific academic discipline.
Before registering for any classes, we highly recommend that you contact us in Academic Advisement to make sure you follow the correct academic plan.

A list of official advisement check sheets is also available.

When should I meet with an advisor?

You should meet with an advisor once each semester. Our advising team supports your academic goals and will guide you through procedures for classes, majors, degree checks and transferring.

Who is my advisor?

Students are not assigned to specific advisors, although some specialize in certain areas (i.e.: Nursing or Veterans). Meet the advisors here.

Do I need an appointment to see an advisor?

Advisors are seen on a walk-in basis during regular working hours. Nursing students ready to apply for the nursing program can make appointments with the nursing advisor on Thursday afternoons.

What do I need before meeting with an advisor?

Here is what you can do to get ready:

  • If you are a new to college student, attend a new student advisement session.
  • If you are a continuing/returning student and enrolling for next semester bring any documentation from previous advising sessions.
  • If you are a transfer student bring printed transcripts from previous colleges for the advisor to review. They do not have to be official but you will need to have them evaluated by admissions prior to graduation.

What classes do I take?

Academic Advisors help you choose the classes you need to complete your degree or program of study. The required courses are listed under your degree program. An advisor will help you find the classes to meet your degree requirements.

Can an advisor help me with my schedule?

Once an advisor creates your academic plan or lists your courses, you build your own class schedule using the resources covered in the New Student Advisement sessions.

Is the AAA115 or CPD150 class required?

All incoming freshman take one of these classes. The classes teach you the knowledge and skills on how to navigate college successfully. CPD150 contains a career exploration component, which helps you choose your degree. Both classes transfer to the public in-state universities.

What is ‘sharing classes’ or double/triple dipping?

Sharing or double/tripping dipping is when you use one class to satisfy more than one degree requirement. (You do not get extra credit for these classes) The classes pertain to only certain degree areas, which are usually listed on degree sheets as 0-3 written in the credit column. These specific classes are usually used to fulfill the awareness areas (cultural, global/historical), communication and critical reading requirements. For questions regarding specific courses, please confirm with your advisor.

What certificates and degrees do you offer?

PVCC offers over 70 certificates and degrees. You can find them on our degrees and certificates page.

What courses transfer to the university?

You can transfer a maximum of 64 credits to the three Arizona state universities (ASU, NAU and UofA). Several of our transfer partners will accept 84 to 90 transfer credits for select degrees.

Check with an advisor or at Arizona Transfer check which courses transfer to one of the state universities.

I have college transcripts from outside of Maricopa Community Colleges. Can I use them at PVCC?

It is a two-step process to have your transcripts sent and evaluated from another institution:

  1. Request the college/university send an official transcript to Admissions and Records Office. They cannot be hand carried or mailed from your home.
  2. You will receive a message in your Message Center in your student center when they are received here. Then request a transcript evaluation here.

The evaluation process can take 2-8 weeks. You can still meet with an advisor prior to the evaluation for an unofficial evaluation. Make sure you bring a copy of your transcripts

I’m still undecided about my major. What do I do?

Work with an advisor to choose general study classes that fit numerous degrees. You can also make an appointment with Career Counselor (602.787.6540) to help you choose a career path that is right for you.

I’m changing my major. How can an advisor help me?

Advisors show you which classes meet the requirements of your new degree choice and will create an academic plan for your new major.

I am interested in the nursing program, how can an advisor help me?

You can find many of your answers on the MaricopaNursing website. Prior to meeting with a nursing advisor at PVCC, you should attend a Nursing Information Session. Please visit the PVCC nursing website to choose a nursing session attend. Please see below for additional links to Maricopa Community College nursing pathways.

Is there a way to track my degree progress?

By clicking “Degree Progress Report” in your student center, you can see: how many credits you have completed, your PVCC GPA, the classes that meet your degree requirements, and which ones you need to complete your degree. You can also run a ‘what if’ to check another degree. This only works if you have all of your college transcripts in your PVCC account.

When will I graduate? Do I need to meet with an advisor when applying for graduation?

There are numerous factors that determine how long it will take. You should meet with an advisor to create your academic plan, which will help you determine when you will graduate. After completing the required courses, an advisor will help you complete your Petition to Graduate: http://www.

Follow us on:

Facebook Link Twitter Link